Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting the "mid-tier" player"

Trust In Him posted:

There will be a program somewhere for a kid with talent and desire.  Might not be D1, D2 or D3 but a wide variety.  Keep at it, try your best and see where that leads.  The right breaks, the right situation, and hard work can do wonders.   

TIM is correct on this.  After watching my son and his friends go through the recruiting process I am thoroughly convinced that anyone who has the desire to play in college can find a place.  It may not be a top program, and they may not be on scholarship but there are lots of opportunities to play and those that want to can find a home.

We had two kids that graduated with my son.  Neither of them saw the field much.  One was a catcher and one was an infielder.  The catcher ended up at a D3 where he will probably ride out his career playing on the JV squad.  His goal was to play in college and he is more then happy to just say he is on a college team.  From what I have seen, he is an average hitter, but does not field his position well.

The other ended up at a D2 school.  Smaller kid, decent fielder but he doesn't have the arm to play on the left side of the field (or the outfield), nor is he a first baseman.  This pretty much limits him to 2nd base.  He found a home at a D2 school whose roster is made up of players who appear to be at his skill level.  Again he can hit for average, but is not a power hitter.  His size and strength lend itself to 1B line drives just over the infielders heads.

Though to be fair its hard to judge their playing as they did not see significant playing time and never had a chance to get into a rhythm.  When I heard about these kids moving on, I went and looked at their PBR and PG profiles.  At graduation time both of them had measurables similar to what my kid had going into 9th grade.  

I'm using these kids as examples and please don't take this as knocking those kids.  I am really happy for them as they found a way to keep playing because thats what they wanted.  I hope each of these kids finds a way to succeed as they progress through college.