Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting the "mid-tier" player"

My son was a 2017 that sounds very similar to your's Tequila.  He graduated at 5'11 (though he will tell you he is 6'0") and 170 lbs.

Between his sophomore / junior year he was a solid catcher that was fast.  Hit for a very high average and had around a 2.0 pop-time. During that summer, he got no interest.  

During the next year, he grew and got quite a bit stronger.  His pop-time dropped to the low 1.9's and his 60 speed increased.  His power increased from hitting just line drive singles to hitting more gap to gap doubles and triples (with his speed).  He has NEVER hit a HR in his entire life, much to his chagrin (he has come close so many times but never got one out).

He was playing on a good showcase team and going to lots of regional events (mid-atlantic area). He got very little interest from those events, but where he got the most interest was going to the individual showcases.  If I had it to do over again, I would have spent my money on these rather than on the showcase team.  He went to two events during the summer before his senior year (Academic Top 100 and All Star Baseball Academic) and got interest from a couple D1 and several D3 schools.

In talking with the D1 schools, it was obvious he was going to be a bottom of the roster guy.  However, several of the D3 schools had real interest in him coming in and having a role right off the bat. He ended up committing to a good D3 program that is a great athletic and academic fit.

Fast forward to this fall. He has put on about 15 lbs of muscle and had a great fall season. His coach told him that he was the #2 catcher on the depth chart heading into the spring season behind their Sr. captain...so don't think that with his size and position he won't be able to find a home at the next level.  Sure, it may not be at Vandy...but he will find a place.

One bit of advice I would give is to see what return you are getting from the recruiting services you are paying for.  My son's hitting coach (head baseball coach at D1 school) said he NEVER looked at those sites, and in fact, wouldn't even read emails generated from those sites.  I just went to a lacrosse showcase with my younger son this weekend and a parent asked the coaches during a Q/A panel about those sites and they all said they don't use them.  They said they NEVER go on those sites looking for players and that they are a pain to use (have to be a member, remember password, etc.).  They said they don't like the "middle man approach" and would rather just get emails from your son (using HIS email address), rather than emails generated from those sites.

Good luck to your son and enjoy his HS baseball...it ended way quicker than I was expecting for my son.