Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting the "mid-tier" player"

My son played at a mid level D1.  the catcher was 6'2 265 .. he was honored to be on foulball "all buffet team"  the firstbase man was 6'4 240...  the middle infielders had plus arms,  good feet and had that 100 yard stare.  The CF was on ESPN a few times for plays he made with his world class speed. as a team they hit like 60 homruns all the pitchers except one were 6'2 to 6'8  throwing 90 was common.....  a mid-tier team....

Its really hard to get a D1 to look at you.... how about getting a D1 coach to start you in a game?  trying going 0 for 10  or walking a couple batters....

Also, high school stats mean nothing.... the only thing that matters are your baseball skills and grades that's it.

Advice, get an assessment from someone who does not care if your son plays baseball or not. someone who is not your friend... your high school coach or maybe even your travel coach. 

Be brutally honest with your son... I understand the dream.... but change that dream to a "goal"  and you will end up in a better position when baseball is over.   Take your son to mid major games... ask a older travel team if you can fill-in in a scrimmage.  and then ask yourself can play at this level with these guys , do I really want to play college baseball ?  or is chasing the dream what is really going on? 

For those 2019 looking for a D1... the time is getting close.  Most D1 mid-major schools may take a few more high school players, but they are already on their list.  and the rest will be transfers and juco's . 

i am not bashing D2 D3 etc.... mine have played Juco, D1 and D3.. I played the recruiting game at all levels.... recruiting is a cruel biz anyone that who like honest advice PM me.