Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting the "mid-tier" player"

2020.2023dad posted:

So newbie question.  Did not know that the kid should engage with the colleges and coaches and read that there.  Makes sense.   However, I don't even think 2020 has an email address.   LOL.  Times have changed.  Have to get him one.

Prior to our recent D1 camp the RC/hitting instructor emailed me to make sure he was coming.  Afterward we of course thanked them in person with a firm shandshake etc and I sent an email to the same RC (same email thread) thanking them again for the opportunity, impressed with everything all ON BEHALF of my kid etc etc.  So I guess this should have come form my son?  What about initially reaching out with interest?  My kid is 15 and has idea where he wants to go to school  Is he really one who needs to be reaching out directly to coaches?   I am always worried someone will violate the contact rules.  Any insight on what the player should and should not be communicating would help.   Also, I'm sure that many parents don't trust their kids to do this and ghost write the emails, right? 

An email address is easy....either yahoo or gmail is fine.  Use his name and grad year.....such as johnnysmith2020@yahoo.com    You can always help him ask/answer questions....but let it come from his email.  Once calls/texts start, make sure it's his phone.  Again, there's nothing saying you can't read/review/proof everything.  Your son can't violate contact rules....he can try to make contact however he wants.  Coaches are responsible (and will know) for what they do as far as response.   My son had an email he used....I could keep an eye on it during the day while he was in school, then talk to him after school before he responded.  Also, even if you help.....try to make sure it "sounds like" it's a 15 year old kid writing it, not a 40-something dad lol.  Good luck!!

Oh...and it seems like common sense, but if your son is sending out the same email to more than once coach (just changing school name, coach, mascot, etc)....make sure he double checks each email before he hits send.  It's a bad look when you sent an email to a coach and at some point in the letter  you have Louisville....and later you in the letter you mention Seminoles lol.   Uh, yep, not those two schools....but we did send one with the mascot not matching the school....

Last edited by Buckeye 2015