Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting the "mid-tier" player"

2020.2023dad posted:

Prior to our recent D1 camp the RC/hitting instructor emailed me to make sure he was coming.  Afterward we of course thanked them in person with a firm shandshake etc and I sent an email to the same RC (same email thread) thanking them again for the opportunity, impressed with everything all ON BEHALF of my kid etc etc.  So I guess this should have come form my son?  What about initially reaching out with interest?  My kid is 15 and has idea where he wants to go to school  Is he really one who needs to be reaching out directly to coaches?   I am always worried someone will violate the contact rules.  Any insight on what the player should and should not be communicating would help.   Also, I'm sure that many parents don't trust their kids to do this and ghost write the emails, right? 

So I'll venture a reply here based our experience and education thus far. There are many articles on the Internet about reaching out with interest but suffice to say that I think it's pretty commonly agreed upon that the player should be the one sending the emails, from his own email address. Do some basic searching with your favorite search engine and there should be quite a few results giving ideas of what should be communicated. Ideally the more brief the better and include key things that the coaches might want to know i.e. not a family history, etc. A video link is also good but it should be fairly short as well. These guys are really busy.

My son and I got together and came up with a few different versions of emails that we both agreed upon for various situations. He tries to personalize each one, to some degree, to express that he's done some research as well as to avoid any "uncomfortable situations" that might arise due to errors in name substitution or coach overlap. I woudn't worry too much about the contact rules as that is on the schools to adhere to. My understanding is that the player can reach out to the coaching staff at basically any time. The coaches just may not be permitted to respond. It would be good for you to familiarize yourself with the contact rules and calendars which can be found here http://www.ncaa.org/student-at...recruiting-calendars. Hope that helps and, please, anyone who has more or wishes to correct, feel free to do so.