Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Video"

@RJM  I agree with absolutely everything you are saying.  I don’t think my kid is a D1 prospect or potential prospect at this point.  If they said he was, I wouldn’t believe and it wouldn’t change a thing in his preparation for playing at the next or current level.  Honestly, I’d prefer that he go to a smaller school at the D2 or lower level as I would imagine he would have an opportunity to play sooner all things held constant.  From HS on up, everyone loves the monsters.  My kid is not and will not be a monster and that’s fine by me.  Some schools will pass on him and that is also fine.  The camp was helpful, as it was his first and a good opportunity to perform, see his competition and motivate.  We did get feedback that was constructive.  He had a very open stance at the showcase.  They mentioned it and at his next hitting session, he cut it in half and has had great success with it.  

I’d love to hear your input on the below:

My sons team plays in a 16U local tournament.  No scouts, no radar nothing like that.  His team is full of 14-15 year olds playing up.  A bunch of nobody’s but solid players all around.  A big organization brings in two teams.  A team has 4 D1 commits and a bunch of high follows.  B team brings in a PO, D1 commit, top 5 pitcher in the state of Florida according to PG and tops out at 89.  
We draw the the A team in pool play and lose 3-2.  My son got the start as he’s been chomping at the bit to get back on the mound.  Pitched 4 innings K’s 4 (3 backwards) 2HB (box is gone at this point, and they have their toes on the plate) 1BB, 2 hits, (both singles) gives up 3ER in the fourth to take the L.  Keep in mind, he’s a C and hasn’t even had as much as a pen in a year in a half, but nearly perfect through 3 and ends with 58 pitches.  They should have trounced us with all that talent.  Semifinal, we draw team B with the top flight PO.  This kid is a monster and very much looks the part that the scouts salivate over.  He can’t find the zone to save his life.  When he does find the zone, he’s hammered.  Makes it 1/3 and gives up 5ER. We run rule them 11-1 in the 5th.  Now we go on to play the A team again in the final.  Studs show up looking big as ever. Team B sticks around and joins team A in the dugout for the game.  We’re out of pitching as a couple of our horses are sick.  We put another catcher on the bump and he keeps it close even though he rarely pitches.  Third catcher comes in the 6th with the game tied 4-4.  I see him warming up and know him from the little league days and I ask him the last time he pitched.  “11U.”  We both chuckle and I tell him to have fun.  He gets touched up as he’s got 1 pitch and can throw strikes and we lose to the monsters 8-4.  My son catches this game, frames up plenty, throws out two of three stealing and back picks another two.  The best part, constant trash talk from the two elite teams, to the point where the umpire finally gives them a warning.  I’m cool with chatter as long as it’s not personal, but it was every bit of personal for the entirety of the game.  So some of these kids have real character issues, even went so far as to trash talk my son on social media after he posted his pitching performance.  He didn’t call anyone out or name anyone, just put something out that he was proud of.  

In short, my son and I are very aware of the challenges ahead.  It’s highly possible that he will never have the opportunity that some of yours have had.  While I appreciate your candor, I don’t really understand it.  Many college coaches will look past him in favor of the monsters.  Absolutely fine by me as well.  I’d be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that the  coach that might take a flyer on him will be glad he did.  Again, I agree with everything you said and appreciate it but was wondering about thoughts on recruiting film.