Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Video"

If you've been told your son projects as a D2 player, then his recruiting summer will be 2023.  College camps primarily serve to make money for unpaid assistant coaches.  Sure, you might get some good feedback on training, and you will get practice with the format, and they might be fun - it can be worth the money, but don't count on it.  So, figure out how much money you want to spend.

@Nick0977 posted:
His summer team is part of a large, respected organization. Probably 12-15 classed teams.  He was recovering from surgery during tryouts last January so they found him a home on their 2024 C/D team.  Different coach every game so they didn’t really know him until the end of the summer and they didn’t advocate for anyone below the B team as far as I could tell.  A lot of good things with the program, but communication isn’t one of them.  Figure we’ll cross that bridge when he makes one of the A or B teams hopefully this winter.  They know the drill and size matters so they aren’t going to spend much time on the undersized guys as far as I can tell.  

Large organizations have an interest in getting their players recruited to the highest possible level, because then they can advertise that.  At the same time, they will destroy their credibility if they promote players who are not worthy.  So, if they "didn't advocate for anyone below the B team," that is an indication of where they think their players fit.  You should be able to trust that they will do what is needed, whenever the time comes; unfortunately, they don't usually tell parents that 2024s who are not top D1 won't need to be promoted until 17U.  

As a D3 parent, I'm somewhat cynical of the baseball industry, but I liked our organization, and we had good experiences generally.  But we also knew many families who got impatient with the process.  At the end of 17U summer, the organization head said to me, "I've got 20 pitchers topping at 85, what are these parents expecting?"

Eventually, we started running camp invitations past our organization head, and he would tell us not to do them if he didn't think it was appropriate.