Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Video"

I’m understanding the size matters issue more than ever.  The multi-school showcase he attended was a mess.  What was supposed to be a 4 hour metrics session turned out to be a 6 1/2 hour waste of time.  Many of the “scouts” left after the first session.  The only two metrics that my son received were pop time and exit velo.  He did get a bonus metric for infield velo which was nice.  The only problem was that he didn’t throw across the infield.  Catcher pop times were measured 4 1/2 hours in after the six catchers had caught about 75 bull pins and cooled off and warmed back up four times.  By the time they got around to pop times, the catchers were so gassed that most of them were one hopping to second and only one player from the two sessions broke the 2.0 mark.  My son typically doesn’t have a problem braking 2.0, but posted a 2.13.  Several of the catchers he trains with also posted much higher than normal times.  All in all not very productive, but at least we learned where not to go heading into the all important Junior year summer.  I get more than ever why there is such a reliance on size in the scouting process when the metrics aren’t really reliable.  

Very much a live and learn experience.  My son is also going to need a lot more help from his travel organization and trainers than I originally thought and had hoped for.  Back in his pitching days, his pitching coach said something that has stuck with me. “It’s not just about being good.  Everyone is good at the next level.  It’s also about being lucky.”  So in addition to to the long hours of training and practice, we’ll be mixing in some finger crossing 🤣.

Thanks again to all of you that have shared your experiences.  Much of the advice is proving to be accurate and helpful.