Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting Video"

@Nick0977 posted:

We started that process.  Engineering/Computer Science major so we started to eliminate that way.  D1 is now completely off the table as it’s just not going to happen.  Probably won’t bother with D2 either so the pool is getting pretty small.  Might revisit if he starts to fill out Junior or Senior year.  

I did look at a lot of the rosters to see what the prototype is for the schools.  Many just drag the D1 body down.  6’ 200lbs.  Also dug into the stats on a lot of the starters and while I understand the want for hitting, most of the catchers are not big hitters.  Seems like .230-.250 and maybe a couple of bombs is the norm.  Not discounting the difficulty in hitting at any of those levels, but surprised by the lack of production given so much emphasis on size and power.  

I’ve got a catcher trapped in the body of a middle infielder.  Starting to feel like the second coming of Doug Flutie’s dad.  

Everything you are saying is pointing towards D3 for your kid. If you make that decision now, embrace it, and move forward with that goal in mind you will have a leg up on most of your competitors. Assuming you proceed as I described you will have defined the most important variables.  Since you know the preferred field of study that (along with location of the school) becomes your primary filter. It won’t be hard to come up with a list of 10-20 schools to focus on. Once you have done that start looking for a contact that has influence with your target schools. And away you go……