Skip to main content

Reply to "Recruiting videos"

I'm sure you'll get great feedback via PM, but for others who stumble across this thread there are some basic principles that work.  As others have said, it doesn't need to be fancy, an iPhone does a fine job.  No music.  A key is to isolate the players movements from an angle coaches need to see it from.  Don't worry about getting the field in the view, and don't shoot from 100' away - get in close.  Keep it to 90-120 seconds.  Cut out all the dead time between reps.  Look like a ball player, make it all business.  Additionally, I'd suggest the following:

1)  Start with a stat sheet - name, age, school w/GPA & SAT/ACT scores, height & weight,  key stats (confirmed pop, throwing velo, exit velo, 60 yd time), coaches contact info.

2) A few cage swings viewed directly across from the hitter.  Tee is fine, BP is better.  A small tripod is invaluable here.  I like wood bats, and I like including the sound of the contact, but that's just me.

3)  For a catcher, show a few pitches receiving and blocking from the point of view of the pitcher.  He should have in-game energy.

4)  Show a few throw downs from the point of view of the lefty batters box, and a couple from behind the catcher to show to flight of the ball.  It's a bonus to have a radar gun reading captured on the video from this angle.

5)  There's lots of opinions about live game footage... personally I like it if it shows something meaningful.  For example, if you capture him springing up to field a bunt or throw out a runner... adding a few of these I think is good stuff.