Skip to main content

Reply to "Walking On After Late Injury?"

Originally Posted by BOF:

A walk on with no prior contact with a coach has almost a zero chance of making a team. In his situation he needs to find a good JC where he can play lined up as a back up, and then he should also continue the recruiting process but he will need references. PG ratings, scouts references, HS coach references, etc. Continue to talk to coaches but let them know about his situation and the desire to walk on to a team. Walking on with knowledge and support will allow him the opportunity.

I hear you BOF.  Problem with the JC route, even as a back up option,  is that the kid is basically aiming at high academic schools. Mom and Dad have been completely committed to his baseball ambition,  but academics has always come first by a long shot.   So I'm guessing this  particular  family would have a hard time getting on the same page about the JC route.     But I do take your broader point.  It's unfortunately time for the family to get real about what's still possible baseball wise and what the kid is really willing and able to do to keep the dream alive.  At the moment, I think their inclination is more along the lines of what Fenway suggest at this point -- apply to schools that are a good academic fit and get in touch with the coaches there, and  tell his story.   He does, by the way,   have a dynamite write up from the one showcase he did this summer before his injury struck.  Plus we do know at least one 2015 (another travel teammate of may son and the kid I'm talking about) who walked on this fall at a school in one of the Power Five conferences and actually made it.  So maybe that's giving them a little bit of hope.  Of course, that kid was completely  healthy.  

Last edited by SluggerDad