Skip to main content

Reply to "Walking On After Late Injury?"

My son tore his PCL and MCL the first weekend of the summer after junior year. After crutches for four months he fell on his shoulder doing rehab/agility drills. He separated his shoulder requiring surgery. The surgeon told him he wouldn't be able to play in the spring senior year. He was in the opening day lineup. While being high school ready to play he was not college prospect ready.

The plan was to play Legion and spend a lot of time on getting strength back. The plan was to showcase in the fall and start college in January. The expectation was he probably wouldn't have a roster spot that spring.

He destroyed Legion ball. His hitting coach, also former travel assistant, former D1 coach and a pro scout decided he was ready as a college prospect. He contacted teams that had him on the radar screen the season before. My son headed off to college a week before classes. It made it easier my son had already been accepted there on his academics. He had applied to some colleges just in case. The deal was try to walk on. But he was guaranteed a roster spot and money the following year.

The only time I became unhinged in recruiting process was these injuries. It was horrible timing. But as I post about any situation, if the kid wants it he will make it happen. It probably didn't hurt son could play six positions. But a quality catcher is a big deal too.