Skip to main content

Reply to "Red Shirt Freshman on Scholarship"

Not sure if all situations are handled alike but this was my son's team scenario last spring.  Total of 41 players finished the fall on the roster..6 were informed they were red-shirting and did not return for practice with the team following the Christmas break which left the 35 roster players practicing following the return from Christmas break.  3 others including my son were informed mid-season they were also red-shirting.  One additional player received 1 at bat in the spring and was informed at season's end he would be better off attending a juco this year.  The 3 mid-season red-shirts including my son were informed at season's end they could return for this year but they would probably receive no more than 20-50 at bats and would be better off attending a juco this year although it was not presented quite that eloquently.  Two of the three took that route including mine.  Of the six players informed they were red-shirting prior to spring practice beginning two are on the roster this fall.  In total nine players  were red-shirted last year and three remain in the program which I believe is a pretty normal red-shirted player retention rate among D1 programs.  I hope this helps illustrate what I think is a likely red-shirt scenario.  Of the nine total red-shirted players (all freshmen)  I know that at least four of them were scholarship players.