Skip to main content

Reply to "Red Shirting Words of Wisdom"

As far as the question of tranferring goes, son was not a qualifier out of high school, which puts a number of strictures on him now. Son has now learned the meaning of the phrase "No such thing as a free lunch." In order for him to tranfer to a four-year school he has to complete his associate's degree requirements, not just earn units toward his bachelor's degree. His coach requires all players to take 12 units of academic work each semester, in addition to whatever units they get for playing ball, whether the student redshirts or not. So my son will have completed 48 units, as well as having finished his AS degree requirements, after his second year, which would be his freshman year. Technically he would be eligible to transfer then. But more likely he will take upper division courses at the nearby Cal State campus in his third year. The way I see it, it just gives him more time to show recruiting coaches that he has turned himself around academically. No matter what happens baseball-wise, I have to say a big "God Bless You" to that coach, who truly puts academics and baseball on equal footing. His approach has worked wonders on my son already. What goes on between the coach and my son is their own businss but I have no doubt that that coach's decision to redshirt my son is as much a challenge to him to demonstrate his commitment academically as it is a baseball practicality. I respect that approach tremendously.