Skip to main content

Reply to "Reds Name David Bell as new Manager"

OK, this opinion is totally on the surface... I don't have any in-depth insight ...

I like him.  Always Seemed like a solid guy and I like the family.  He is likely to be a good MLB manager at some point.  But...

I don't like the idea of father-son in front office and manager position (conflict of interest?), particularly with a team that has struggled quite a bit the last four years.  And, nothing I have read about him suggests he has some unique insight, direction, special connection with players, etc., that would make it a smart move to bring in a guy with no previous MLB managerial experience, again, considering the poor recent performance of the franchise.  Also, not sure that the local connection is a good thing with current set of circumstances.  They need someone that will inject new energy and/or a new strong culture - an abrupt change.  Just doesn't feel like this is it.

This feels more like the grooming of an new incoming MLB manager than the hiring of a guy that will turn a struggling franchise in the right direction in the short term. 

Edit - If they don't address their rotation in a big way, it's not gonna matter who is sitting in that chair.

Last edited by cabbagedad