Skip to main content

Reply to "Reflections on a Summer's Eve."

Coach B...Good stuff.

I coached a team of quality players (16-17 year olds) in the summer of 2002...One of the best experiences of my life.

All parents are fine. Even those that are rude because they think that their son is the best player in the world even though he's not even the best player on the team. I love 'em all.

Parents are fine. Even those that were upset about how I did things.

What mattered is when one of the players came up to me after my "hour long" presentation about how the game should be played in this particular national tournament and he held out his hand and shook mine and thanked me for teaching him more baseball in one hour than he learned in the past 8-9 years. That is what makes coaching worthwhile.

I can get them prepared, but I can't hit, throw, run, pitch,catch, etc. I was a "hamburger" in high school ball but I got bigger and stronger and got good enough to get a chance to play pro ball. I used to be pretty good at all of those things, but I defer to Father time and my sons and "my boys".

Nothing better than sunshine, baseball, hotdogs and that walk-off grand slam at Milton High School forever etched in my memory. Or, that 6-9 in an MSU doubleheader against the Crimson Tide.
Last edited by BeenthereIL