Skip to main content

Reply to "Release point"

adbono posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
adbono posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
adbono posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

Personally I think the legs, hips, trunk, head, glove arm, shoulder....etc are all secondary.  Consistent elbow angle is the biggest factor.  As for the OP, the average human wouldn't be able to detect the difference in the release point, that is what makes pitchers so amazing. 

Throwing begins from the ground up.  If you are throwing the ball properly the legs, hips, and trunk are always the primary considerations.  When you get consistency with the lower half & the trunk then (and only then) can you get consistent with an arm slot and a release point. Then you can command where you throw the baseball. When proper momentum is created with the body (and it starts with the big muscles - legs, hips, etc.) the arm goes along for the ride. Focusing on "elbow angle" (I'm assuming you mean at delivery - but that is not a common term) and considering everything  that leads up to it to be "secondary" is the ultimate definition of getting the cart in front of the horse.

It's that elbow angle and release point that will dictate where the ball goes and that is what the OP is about.  You are talking about what brings Velo.

The OP is about release point. The answer to the OP points out (correctly) how a minor variation in release point at delivery has a pretty big impact on where the ball ends up when it gets to the plate.  Assuming that you want to command the baseball (that means throw it where you want it to go) its easy to deduce that you better get pretty consistent with the release point.  My last post about this was calling attention to all the things that have to be consistent BEFORE you get to delivery and even have a chance to be consistent with a release point. If you throw the baseball with the right mechanics you will command the baseball AND throw harder. Many would argue that the correct engagement of the legs and hips is the most important link in the throwing chain. Others may say that glove side mechanics are just as important - and way more neglected. It is also crucial that the trunk rotates up and over a resistant (not soft) stride leg. These are all critical elements of throwing mechanics that you (incorrectly) labeled as "secondary". So I'm not just talking about velo.  I am talking about how to properly throw a baseball and how that relates to the OP.  

I see your point and agree with everything you said, but to the actual OP dropping your elbow will change the release point.  I've seen several kids, including mine not do half of the stuff you mentioned and they can move their 80mph fastball up a foot as the OP discussed. But if their elbow drops it's not going to go where they want it to go.

Most kids don't do half the stuff I mentioned - including some that are pretty successful at the HS level.  And most people (including a lot that call themselves pitching coaches) don't have a good understanding of what I was describing.  Think of pitching instruction as a pie cut into 6 pieces. You can find a lot of guys that know something about 1 or 2 of the pieces - but very few that know about the whole pie !

I can believe, and agree with, every word of that.