Skip to main content

Reply to "Release time"

Guys,
Sorry .Bad math.Let me try to get this close to accurate.Assume an average ML runner will run 78' in 3.35(13 strides at approximately 6' per stride with approximately 100 total frames & approximately 7.70 frames per stride)If you knock one tenth of a second off of your glove to glove time to 2nd(6 frames) & you are an average thrower(2.0 which equals 60 frames @ 30fps)you gain approximately 5' on the runner.Not very much if you really break the equation down.Your saving grace is that runners usually break after the pitcher initiates his delivery. If they break at or just before 1st move, you have little margin for error & your pitcher must be in the 1.20 range. I'm pretty certain on this math(2.0+1.2+.1 tag time=3.3)

The point is that you can quantify what you are doing by using video and use it to find the specific areas that will allow you to pick up time.Certainly using the radar gun & a stop watch will help. If I improve my throwing velocity on the radar gun will it improve my glove to glove times?Maybe yes & maybe no. Yes if I maintain my quickness & no if it slows down my glove to release times. If I speed up my glove to release time as measured by a stopwatch, it does not mean that my glove to glove times will be faster if I have lost too much velocity as a result of gaining that quicker release.The video really helps you discover the areas of significance relative to improving your throwing.It really helps you control the variables & find the area or area that will produce the desired results( Flip transfer,catching the ball deeper,taking the ball out of the top of the glove,separation in front, better ground angles, shorter lead foot action,stide line,application of force drive line,ball to hand relationship at release to name a few of the focus areas.)

There are no absolutes. Pitches in different areas are going to require more quickeness than arm strength & visa versa. For example, a ball elevated in on a LHH where you have to swing away from the LHH to create a throwing lane requires more arm strength than quickness because you often have to delay you momentum step. Whereas a ball down & away from a right handed hitter requires more quickness than arm strength because you have to get your head up quickly to get your trunk & arm up.

Sorry for the confusion.

JW