Skip to main content

Reply to "Released"

CatSureMom,

I didn't intend that for you. That reminds me that I have this bad habit of sometimes posting something directed to someone and then go on past that point. (just babbling I guess)

That said, it does really bother me when I read comments about how players are treated. It isn't an easy life, but it's one that most everyone who plays tends to enjoy. Those who don't enjoy it, are best off hanging it up. Sometimes (not you) people make it sound like these kids are in prison or something. They are living their dream and most can't wait for the next season.

I have been much more than remotely involved. I think the players are treated very well, other than they should be compensated better. But we have to remember, minor leaguers do not make the Major League clubs any money! In fact, they cost the Major League clubs a lot of money jus giving these players an opportunity to develop. What job exists where the employee makes lots of money without the employer making any from their efforts? The Minor Leaguer who never makes it ends up costing the club a lot of money. The ones they have a big investment in, cost them the most if they don't make it.

Playing professional baseball is a good thing in my book. Playing college baseball is also a good thing in my book. Playing any level of baseball is a good thing. And yes, I have some personal disappointing stories also.