Skip to main content

Reply to "Relevant Olympic Sports @ the I.O.C."

quote:
Originally posted by zombywoof:
None of these olympic sports are worth watching except maybe hockey. But even that's watered down badly with NHL players making up the teams and scattering off for two weeks playing for different countries.

Whoa. I can't leave this one alone. Disclaimer: Zombie, I'm usually a big fan of your in-your-face posts. But you're wrong about this one. "Watered down" is the complete opposite of what happens when you let pros play Olympic Hockey.

It may violate the amateur spirit, it may cheat some great collegiate talent out of competing in the Olympics. But the one thing it does do is create one of the purest competitions of the best-of-the-best on an International level. For a short time, the best in the world drop everything financial and go play to represent their countries. And each country sends the best NHL players they've got. If you think what you're watching is "watered down Hockey," then you're not a Hockey fan.

I'm OK with the idea of kicking pros out of the Olympics for altruistic reasons. But if they do, then I'm an advocate for the Professional Olympics. And I'll be absolutely glued to the tube for those two weeks.
Last edited by wraggArm