Skip to main content

Reply to "removed.."

"Community opinions on the coach's decision to call games, or his decision to pull the player, are meaningless."

I took the want for "community feeling" as all encompassing.  Coaches rule is coaches rule and should be followed. As dumb as the rule is.  To have the conversation is not meaningless though.  There are coaches of all ages on this board and this conversation on pulling the player or not, the rule itself being a good one or not, letting pitchers/catchers call their own game or not is a very healthy discussion.  I think it helps coaches evaluate what they do.  Any time a coach self reflects, they become a better coach and is what draws many to this site.  

I do think coaches try to over coach and micro manage too much.  I do believe catchers and pitchers grow more as players and are into the game more when the coach steps aside and lets them call their game.  If there is a sequence that seemed odd, a healthy short discussion between innings on why the pitches were thrown helps the coach get a feeling for what the pitcher/catcher was thinking and adds to the growth if there was a better option.