Skip to main content

Reply to "removed.."

I'll say it for the umpteenth time.  The best way for a player to succeed is to understand that the coach is ALWAYS right.

We all know the coach can't possibly be right all the time.  We know that some coaches are wrong about a lot of things.  But if it is not physically harmful, players must learn to do what the coach wants.  Even if you don't respect the coach, you have to respect his position.

That said it is asinine for any coach to disallow a pitcher to shake off a sign.  We used to allow players to disagree with signs we put on.  They actually had a signal that they could give telling us they disagree with the play we are putting on.  Sometimes we would change the sign, sometimes we wouldn't.  But it did create a lot of thinking players. Once in awhile, they would disagree twice.  I knew when this happened, something was not right and we called time and talked.  One time I put the bunt sign on with a runner at 2B.  The hitter disagreed, I still wanted the bunt so gave him the sign again. He disagreed again.  I knew this was a very smart player at the plate, called time and asked him why he was disagreeing.  He said coach there is one out and I don't think you want me bunting.  For some reason I forgot there was an out. I was wrong, he was right! I told him thanks and good job.

So when we talk about calling every pitch, you gotta let the pitcher pitch.  You gotta let the catcher help.  And even then you can still call pitches and everyone is part of the game.  If you're trying to develop intelligent players you have to treat them like intelligent players.  

Then even after all of that, the most intelligent thing a player can do goes back to the first sentence in this post.  I know it can get confusing at times, but things will change. 

JMO