Skip to main content

Reply to "Report on the "New" bats"

Excellent post Coach May. On the money. What we see today with HS and college hitters hanging over the plate is not real baseball. When you have an ump who won't give anything off the outside corner the game becomes a lot like some of the wiffle ball games we played as kids. Stand on top of the plate and try to hit it into the magnolia tree across the street.

But the thing that REALLY gets me is the inside corner call. I will take it a step further. Not only can you not get the inside call a couple of inches off the plate, frequently you can't even get it when you paint the corner. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's because the entire zone has shifted outside. Maybe it's because batters hanging over the plate creates the illusion that a pitch on the corner is off the plate. But for whatever reason the inside part of the plate no longer exists at many games.

Frankly, I think this adulterated form of baseball we play in HS and college is why many hitters fail in summer leagues and in the minors.