Skip to main content

Reply to "Report on the "New" bats"

I have a feeling that these rules are going to come as a shock to a lot of kids used to CF4s and other composite bats. My son is an 8th grader and almost all of the select teams (including his own) have kids using the higher end composite bats. I resisted it, instead sticking with an aluminum one for games and wood for practice since I wanted him to learn to hit the ball properly and not rely on equipment making up for talent. He has played against a lot of teams that have nothing but the higher end composite bats and many of these kids are hitting ridiculously long fly balls with these bats.

I suspect that many are going to be in for a really rude awakening when they step up to the high school level and realize that those towering fly balls that they hit now will become very routine outs in the near future. The game will return to a match where skill and execution are the primary ways to win. Kids will have to learn the art of moving a runner over, of hitting solid line drives and not relying on the bomb to bring everyone home. There will be only one or two big homerun type hitters on teams again, and the rest will have to actually execute will make the game a lot more exciting.

Personally I am looking forward to it.