Skip to main content

Reply to "Report on the "New" bats"

Bum, Fan, 3-Bagger; interesting points you bring up. I don't know if all the speculation will turn out to be true, but certainly things will change.

My son has already mentioned to me, after one week using the new bats, that he will probably need to change is approach! Most good hitters like him, have been middle-of-the-order guys that trained, practiced and played Summer ball with Wood. That being said, they used the "hot" composites and metal hybrids during their H.S. and College seasons and enjoyed the performance and distance gains! They will still hit but unless they are really "big" may get back to gap to gap, drive the ball approaches rather than trying to create loft. Those 390-400' big flies look to carry about 370' now which will be warning track distance outs (in the gaps and CF).

I remember when good MLB hitters came ups as line drive gap hitters that "learned" to hit with power at the big league level. Meaning; they learned to open early, pull to the shorter fences and create loft. This after their bodies had matured and they had learned the basics of hitting. Maybe we will begin to see more of the hitting styles of the Boggs, Mattingly, Gwinn, Grace, etc, prevail again.

Three Bagger hopefully is correct in his assertion that skill and execution will again be emphasized in the game. In the College game, Bum makes some good points. Not sure that the "Junk ball" pitcher will disappear though. Good hitters still like fast balls to hit so a nice "change of pace" soft-tosser will probably be nice to have on the Staff.

Good hitters should be more desirable than ever and glove guys will find it very competitive out there if they can't contribute offensively. I agree the game will become more athletic with speed valued more than ever.

I guess there is this "availability of good wood" issue and the ever present "lobby of the metal bat manufacturers" but wouldn't it be nice if they just went to Wood and put an end to all this nonsense.