Skip to main content

Reply to "Research resources for College Pitching programs/coaches"

biggestfan2018 posted:
Dominik85 posted:

does it have to be D1? maybe if he played D3 he could pitch and Play the OF if he prefers that.

Thanks for the response. He is focused on his pitching but honestly I think the next 6 months will be telling.  His offense has always been productive but never a slugger which may also inform demand. He is a pretty simple young man and works hard.  He continues to say his only focus is to play at the most competitive level he is able.  Of course high MLB draft would be his preference but D1 or even JUCO to a path seems open to him.

We sat through an utterly depressing recruiting talk 2 years ago.  I came out depressed and he came out inspired to work harder...we shall see.

biggestfan,

Here are a couple of things you need to consider in your search.

It doesn't matter how you feel about your sons ability, he needs an independent evaluation to see what direction to take. I am not talking about a camp, but rather a scouting service that compares, rates and ranks your son with other 2018s across the country.  What division would be a good fit. Perfect Game would be a good example.

Don't forget about how important grades are in the equation.

Keep in mind that most programs in the east and Southeast recruit players from the East and Southeast.  The power 5 conferences all over the country look for the best players, and realistically, while 102 mph would get you drafted pretty high, college players don't throw that hard, possibly one day, but more than likely not in college.

Why not start his search within his home State?  Will he be playing this summer for a good travel team?

There is one thing your son has that others don't, he is a lefty.  So he needs to work on being the best lefty pitcher he can be, competition is fierce these days.

FWIW, there are only a few pitching coaches that actually are heads above the rest, and of course they are employed by the best programs.

You and your son need to sit down and discuss a plan of action, there is plenty of info here to help, and follow the recruiting guidelines.