Skip to main content

Reply to "Responses from Introductory letters"

The key to any success is marketing.
The majority of the offers my son had, he coaches never saw him play and other than UNLV never even met him.
A wondefull D2 school in CT made him a great offer(The largest) and never saw him or his video. They got his report from a scout who saw him in Long Island.
My son's team hosted several College Showcases but we didn;t go to any until last summer and he had several calls from that. I always called them back and told them right up front wether he was interested or not. We had beautifull Baseball Brochures sent to us from schools all over the US. Some I have no idea how they knew about him.
I discussed every school with him and he said if he was interested or not. I called the schools and told them. One criteria was that he wanted to be in a city where he could get around without a car. Lots of action. Also cheap flights from Buffalo.
If you are getting letters respond to them and if you have a video send it after talking to the coach and if you are interested. Be up front and the coaches will respect you and often the door will be left open in case things don't go your way. In our case we were prepared to have my son work for a year and have him showcase in the fall and summer. Part of making a deal is being able to walk away from the table. I get the impression a lot of people think its the end of the world if they don't sign in their senior year. You have 4 years of playing college ball, spend them wisely.
Go after the schools you are really interested in. Throw a few dream schools in and if you work hard and market yourself properly you might be surprised.
To me the video was the big asset to getting coaches to show interest. Most of the schools were so far away the coaches would never see him. At some point you nhave to choose the schools that you are inyerested in. If some have sent you a letter then stop what you are doing and get to work. If they need a guy at your son's position then you are that further ahead.