Skip to main content

Reply to "Responses to coaches' emails"

Congrats on your son's showing at HeadFirst.  My guess is you have a pretty good idea of the type of school/fit/situation your son is interested in or you wouldn't have spent a good chunk of change at an academic showcase for a rising junior.  With that said, I think it is a good idea to cast a wide net based on his requirements (academic and athletic) to these various schools.   I'd leave yourself some wiggle room as kids sometimes change their mind....ie I don't want to be a physics major now I want to be an engineer.   So, if these schools are interested and their is a remote chance that he could go there....I would follow up with whatever information or communication makes sense.    If you are looking at high academic schools with baseball,  that party won't get started until next year.   So, there is a lot to learn about many of these schools.  I wouldn't take any sincere interest for granted, and I would follow up with any coach that reaches out.  If your son researches the school and determines it isn't for him (ie...don't have his major, urban campus, etc) then feel free to tell the coach.  He can handle it.  These coaches deal with this every day, and it is a good thing to close the door gently because you never know if you need to reopen that door.  These academic coaches move around quite a bit.   JMO.