Skip to main content

Reply to "return on investment for various colleges"

Dominik85 posted:

Isn't the field of study the most important thing? If you study stuff like engineering, economy, law, medicine, biotech, computer science you will probably earn more than if you study philosopy, literature or physical education, right?

I think so.  Although if you study literature and then go on to a top-ranked law or medical school (which was the case for two people in my family), you can potentially earn more than you would as an engineer.  Or you can leave school without a degree, start your own business, and become Bill Gates (Harvard dropout).  Or get a scholarship and radically lower the investment required for a given return.  Bottom line:  there is a lot of info at the link and it can be useful; but keep its limitations in mind, too.  (IMO.) 

I do think these data are great for finding schools that most people don't consider.  I was barely aware that the maritime academies and pharmacy schools at the top of the list even existed.  For some kids those could be terrific options.  (But do they field baseball teams?  I have no idea.)