Skip to main content

Reply to "Rewarding home runs?"

Kevin A posted:

Big difference celebrating with a kid after a HR compared to rewarding him.  I think I saw examples of both here.  Not saying one is better than the other....

I really do think this is one of those case by case things.  If my son hits a home run I might buy him a car.  It just isn't really in his cards or his style...  We have a friend who their 13 year old has hit numerous HRs his first year playing 60-90.  Playing 50-70 Cal Ripken as a 12 year old,  him hitting bombs there was a daily occurrence it seemed.  One player's feat could be just another Saturday's game while the exact same feat could be a story that the player would be telling his grand kids about when he is 80.

How you choose to celebrate it can and should be as diverse as the players we see.  I also saw a comment about bribing a kid.  How literal are we taking that word, bribe?  I bribe my kid all the time.  Want another 30 minutes of xbox?  How about another 30 minutes of reading, or some chores..   I think when the player starts to practice, play or strive for feats beyond the love of the sport, one could get into a grey area.  But whom am I to judge?

IMO..

I agree.  And I think that's the point, "Who am I to judge?"  Only you know if you are flat out bribing your kid.  And for me a bribe, usually is a reward given up front, in an effort to induce or encourage a future behavior or action.  An incentive is the opposite, given after the desired behavior is exhibited.  "Hit these marks here, of your own free will, and this will be your reward."  

In the end, only you know if you are bribing, incentivizing,  rewarding, or prostituting.