Skip to main content

Reply to "RHP 90 velo // 103 ex-velo bat"

Thank you, anotherparent! Almost everywhere I turn everyone keeps saying grades, grades, grades. That's great because my son has A's with Honors and AP and has been in a self-contained highly-gifted classroom from 3rd - 8th grade. Then I hear, well in-state schools don't care about Honors or AP just the regular GPA - and yes we're in AZ. It's just frustrating because I really don't see much of a benefit with baseball and high grades. Maybe I'm missing something, I'm just not sure what it is.

Yes, you're missing this: with a 4.0 in honors and AP classes, your son will potentially have the following opportunities:

- admission to a top academic school - Stanford, Ivies, Duke, etc. - some of those give athletic scholarships, but all give need-based financial aid (on parental income) to everyone who is admitted.

-  a hefty academic scholarship to many state schools.  That matters because college baseball scholarships almost never cover 100% of the cost of college.  If the student's GPA is above a certain number (3.5?) then you can use academic money in addition to (stack with) any athletic scholarship, potentially covering the full cost of college, and making the college coach happy because you are easier to support.

AZ state schools have weird applications, but most states are not like that.

Re: advisors, I agree that you do need advice from someone knowledgeable.  You can get lots of information from this site, but no-one here knows your son.  If a travel coach this summer told you that Kent State and Louisville were interested, you should follow up with that coach, and ask him where things are now for your son.  Surely you could also ask the in-state travel organization coaches for advice?