Skip to main content

Reply to "RHP 90 velo // 103 ex-velo bat"

@Ster posted:

First, let me preference this with the fact that I am a total and complete novice to baseball recruiting.   I have a 2024 RHP, and this past year is the first and only time I have been exposed to College baseball recruiting.   There are plenty of people on this message board that have a lot more experience and knowledge so I believe that you have found the right place to gain information.   I have been highly impressed with the information and willingness that people on this message board have shown me over the past year.

I will give you a list of things that I have discovered through this past year concerning baseball recruiting.   I welcome others to critic my post if you are in disagreement.

1) Baseball recruiting is as much about timing and being in the right place in front of the right person as much as anything.   I know of really talented baseball players that have been impressive at every outing that haven't gotten so much as a sniff from D1 schools.   I have also seen players that I wouldn't select for a baseball team under any circumstances that have committed to SEC schools.   I truly believe that the key to college baseball recruiting is being at the right event, performing at a high level, and having the right assistant coach in the audience at that time.   

2) Most of the D1 schools have already finished their 2024 recruitment.   There may be a few schools that are still going to look at 2024 players this summer, but I would say all of the Power 5 programs and most of the Mid Majors are already looking at 2025 and Juco players. and have closed the book on their 2024 classes.

3) I do believe that playing with a reputable travel organization and having a coaching advocate within that organization is key.   You have to have a travel ball coach making phone calls on your behalf to these college programs so that you can get on their radar.   

4) It does you no good to simply show up at a Showcase.   If you are going to a showcase then you need to make sure that some assistant coaches know that you are there, and that they are going to look for your performance.   In my opinion this is where having a good email campaign and travel ball coach reaching out to programs is key.   Showing up at Atlanta to pitch 2 innings in a PG showcase is a waste of time.   Showing up at Atlanta to pitch 2 innings in front of 10 college assistant coaches that are there to specifically watch you pitch is very important.

5) College prospects camps are a complete waste of time unless the coaches at that school are directly communicating with you with text messages and phone calls asking you to specifically to come to their camps.  Ignore all of the generic email camp invites.  If they coaches aren't specifically asking you to come throw or perform in front of them, then they aren't going to notice anything you do.   I am convinced that prospect camps are all about making money, and putting eyes on the 4-5 players that they specifically want to see.   And they have already figured that our prior to the camp.   

6) The transfer portal significantly hurts high school players and their recruitment.

7) I believe that college baseball is a cutthroat business.  There are a lot of kids that are committed to D1 schools right now in the 2024 class that are going to either find out that they are no longer a take by their commitment school by the time they graduate from high school, or find out in their first year in the college program that they don't have a future with that baseball program.   

You have learned well, grasshopper!