Skip to main content

Reply to "RHP 90 velo // 103 ex-velo bat"

Can someone remind me what ACT a kid needs to get into an Ivy League school?  What score is needed if a RHP throwing 90?  I like to think of my kid as HA, but my impression was that there was a difference between standard HA and Ivy.  Might be only 2-3 points on the ACT, but those points move you from the low 90th percentile into the 99th.

There is no one answer.  It ALWAYS depends on the recruits "hook" or ability to stand out with the HC and Admissions as well as the candidate pool at that time.  Just as your son is evaluating his options, Ivys are evaluating a potential recruit against others in their recruiting pool in terms of academics and skills.  The ideal recruit in their minds is a D1 P5 skilled recruit who has the necessary SAT or ACT to get the nod from Ivy admissions, and he wants to attend an Ivy.  If that doesn't happen then it is onto the next recruit on their big board,  again in terms of academics and skills.   Then they work themselves back in talent from that point.

My son was throwing over 90mph with 3 pitches 13 years ago when he was recruited by 4 Ivys.   He had 2150 on 3-part SAT (thankfully, that 3-part experiment died quickly), but yet 2 of the Ivys dropped out of the running when it came to the business-end of recruiting.  They believed they had a better recruit(s) in terms of academics and athletics so they cut bait with my son.  Luckily, he stood out with the other 2 Ivys.  Just because he met the 90 mph metric 13 years ago didn't mean "jack".   He was competing for a rare slot among many recruits, and it was tough.

The single best indicator for a potential Ivy recruit is knowing that he has his academic house in order and other D1s are seriously pursuing/offering him.  This gives the recruit a fighters chance and possible leverage.   The metrics keep changing, so I wouldn't use that as the best guidance.   As @RHP_Parent suggested, the coaches will tell you what they need.  It became very clear in our experience.

As always, just my opinion or experience.