Skip to main content

Reply to "Richmond-Area HS Season!"

I got to see Benedictine start out with some sloppy play, then catch fire to end up with a slaughter-rule victory in the semifinal Friday night. Jamari Baylor and Jay Woolfolk hit tremendous HR's, while Brett Cook filled up the stat sheet with 4 stolen basis, a single, double, hit-by-pitch, 2 or 3 runs and 3 RBI.  Brett Allen was key in relief, given that both Woolfolk and Casey Green were ineligible to pitch until Saturday.

The ambitious day's schedule pushed all starting times back, and then the St. Chris-Collegiate game fell victim to a late night storm and resulting suspension. 

I wasn't there Saturday, but I understand St. Chris won its semi going away.  The championship game was tight well into the game, before Benedictine got 3 runs late and won the state VISAA Div. 1 title.  An appropriate capper for an outstanding season.

Congrats to our Va. Cardinals players on the championship team!  Seniors Brett Cook and Jamari Baylor, juniors Jack Anderson and Matt Sylvia, sophomores Brett Allen and Jay Woolfolk.