Skip to main content

Reply to "Rivals Now Ranking 6th Graders"

I agree with PG.  What's really wrong with it.  Saw his competitor is doing a 7th and 8th grade showcase.  Mulling it over.  How better to prepare him for the nerves and the process he will have to go through in high school?  And I asked him, what if we did go and you look around and realize you are just middle of the pack or maybe even lower?  Will that bother you?  Hurt your confidence?  And in a most mature way the 7th grader said, "no it will show me I have to work harder".  Don't sell these kids short.  Let them grow up.  Sooner or later they have to know where they are in order to know how to get where they are trying to go.  And I agree with root also.  I think we may be surprised at how little things change from 12 to 18.  But maybe if you knew where you ranked at 12 or 13 you would have time to work hard enough to get there.  I read PG velocities all the time and am shocked how many kids in high school go to showcases with velocities in the 70's.   Some even low to mid 70's.   That tells me they are completely out of touch with what it takes.  Maybe if they went to a showcase at 12 and saw some kids already in the 70's they may have known and actually had time to do something about it.  Not that its ever too late but it gets harder because what good travel team or high school program want to take a 16yo pitcher throwing 72?