Skip to main content

Reply to "Rivals Now Ranking 6th Graders"

Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats:

Originally Posted by jolietboy:

Stats when was the last time you went to a 12 year old tournament?  You should go to a good one - make sure it is in fact a good one - it is amazing how a handful of those kids will jump out at you.  It would take an utter collapse of epic proportions for them not to be a D1 player or draft pick when their time comes.  I mean when a kid of 12 is throwing 70-75 he has 6 years to put on 15 mph!  Not even 3mph a year!  And presumably his maturation and biggest growth is yet to come!  Explain to me how that kid is anything other than a D1 prospect at 12 years old?  Then there are the 12 year olds with 80mph exit velocities.  Given the 1.15 bats there may even be a few over 90 somewhere.   Kids who have the ball just jump off the bat and leave you with your jaw dropped.  It is really pretty amazing what some of these kids can do.  And it doesn't take a seasoned scout to see they have a future.  It is that next level that we need the scouts and showcases for.  I for one am all for it.

Well congratulations! I’m sure there’s some ML team out there willing to pay you millions to identify players at 12 rather than pay an entire scouting system to try to do the same thing with players 5-15 years older. Why don’t you send your thoughts and resume` to a few dozen owners and see what happens. Best of luck.

Stats, why the attitude? No need to get defensive. This certainly isn't your area of expertise. It's not like he attacked the use of WAR or something. Do you not think those ML scouts at least have some of those "stud" 12yo's on a list somewhere? I guarantee you ML scouts were looking at Delino Deshields, Jr. and Bryce Harper at 12. Joilet has a point. Go see a top-level 12yo tourney. What you see may amaze you. I'll also say that joliet's example of a 12yo throwing 70-75 isn't even the very cream of the crop.

Last edited by roothog66