Skip to main content

Reply to "Rivals Now Ranking 6th Graders"

Originally Posted by roothog66:

Stats, why the attitude? No need to get defensive. This certainly isn't your area of expertise. It's not like he attacked the use of WAR or something. Do you not think those ML scouts at least have some of those "stud" 12yo's on a list somewhere? I guarantee you ML scouts were looking at Delino Deshields, Jr. and Bryce Harper at 12. Joilet has a point. Go see a top-level 12yo tourney. What you see may amaze you. I'll also say that joliet's example of a 12yo throwing 70-75 isn't even the very cream of the crop.

Attitude maybe. Defensive, no way! I don’t have to be an expert to know how much kids change between 12 and whatever, and what does WAR have to do with anything? I don’t happen to be a fan of it because it doesn’t pertain to the level of ball I’m interested in, so I don’t care what anyone thinks of it. If a scout has a 12YO on a list as a viable ML prospect, I think he’s a fool so I don’t care if he’s got 12YO’s on a list or not.

IMHO, anyone who tries to make 12YO baseball relevant to ML baseball is foolish. Good grief! The ML teams can’t see ALL the HS and college kids playing. What makes anyone believe they have the time to look at every kid below that who’s playing the game?

Ya know, when my kid was 8 YO I thought that level of ball was relevant and that scouts should be looking at those players. Time showed me how wrong I was.