Skip to main content

Reply to "Robot umpires debut in independent Atlantic League"

luv baseball posted:

Forget the robo-ump, anyone paying attention knows it is only a matter of time and that has been true for 10 years at least.  Ending the ball/strike arguments will be awsome...it really will be.

The bigger deal is stealing 1st base.  If that gains traction it totally changes the game bacuse it would probably end forever pitching in the dirt as a tactic.  A 54' curve now could become a baserunner.  A defensive catcher premium will happen.  Blocking will be more valuable than ever.  A lousy catcher could cost a run or two a game.

Anything that forces the ball into the strike zone and contact is worth considering IMO.  I'd like to see at bats limited to 5/6 pitches.  Pitch clocks.  There are a bunch of other things that can be done to address the 5 Inning starter, ball in play and time of game that baseball is way overdue for doing. 

If I were king of baseball I would focus on getting the game down to 210 to 225 pitches.  This would make things better than any other single thing that can be done.  If that happened complete games would be 100 to 110 pitches and they would return to being a big part of the game.

Good post. Totally didn't think about the stealing first thing forcing pitchers in the zone a little more and maybe make them throw less breaking balls. This could create more offense and less Ks.