Skip to main content

Reply to "roster reading"

Not so sure why the NCAA made such a fuss over grad rates, but the baseball working group claimed that upon entering they held high GPA's then GPA's slipped gradually, and many players took only minimum requirments, didn't attend summer school like other atheletes in other sports (played baseball in summer), and when their 4 years were up they were no where near graduation in their requirements and left because they couldn't afford to stay without schollie money. This meant also that they were losing income, get that, players who ran out of eligibility were not going to stay and get their degrees where they began. They want student athletes who will remain with programs for 4 years and their money, not future minor leaguers, that's my understanding how this all came about.

In other words, the schools were not paying attention, it was and is their responsibility to make sure that an athelete stays on task. I don't think that many D1 programs did this. Some lost scholarships, dipping below acceptable APR and complained that was not fair. Baseball is a unique college sport and might be better served by treating it that way.

We all look at how the new rules affect us and our players, coaches look at how it affects them, and do what they can do to keep their jobs, win games etc.

I am glad I don't have a dog in this fight, but if I did, I know that I would do my homework, to help son make a good choice, even if things happened you can still look in the mirror and say you tried, and that would include what cabb had in mind when first posting, pay attention to fall rosters.