Skip to main content

Reply to "roster reading"

My son's freshman roommate was a non medical RS during his soph year. He got very little playing time in his freshman year. He was a very good player from a large Texas HS caught up in the numbers game.
I took some time and tracked him down today. I found him at a very good D111 NCAA college in Texas and he was one of the top players. The real issue is very good players get cut, sidelined for various reasons. One coach sees a player one way and another , another way.
One pitcher was cut or squeezed out and went to a D11. He was 13-0 and drafted. In low A he had a 1.43 era after 42 innings with a 4-2 record. He was cut at A ball after 3 innings. BB is a tough business.
You can read rosters all you like but when you are at the college it is all about competing. You have no idea where you stand with regards to other players there, recruited or to be recruited. You have no idea how you will be perceived by a coach.
Yes there are studs who would stand out and be reasonably sure of a starting role on a team but most guys have to put everything on the table to make the cut. I saw a huge turnover of players that were doing well. The starting catcher was leaving until he found out the new coaches were coming. My son was the first player of 1st 6 at the exit meetings that said he was coming back for his SR. year. The coach was let go not long after . Things go on behind the scenes that parents and players have no idea about. My son would tell me things that I was surprised went on. Just like real life it isn't just about BB.