Skip to main content

Reply to "roster reading"

I think that this has been a great topic, thanks CaBB for starting it, over recruiting has always been a hot topic areound here and will continue to always be.
Basically, with the economy the way it is, with parents not being able to find student loans, losing money on their 401k's, and house values, credit drying up, people need to find ways to help pay for education, and securing a scholarship in any sport is one that they will always seek out. There are reasons why students seek out scholarships, the main one helping to pay for education, or helping them to get into a school they may not otherwise be able to, that will never change. The shift of population to warmer climates also has changed, therefore those schools in those climates (closer to home) is going to feel the brunt of over enrollment, over recruting, etc.

The biggest change I see in college baseball, is players who would otherwise head off to college, now take the money and become professionals. The MLB scholarship plan will become very attractive as an alternative.

I personally am very glad that we have been there and done that.

FWIW, I don't see how schools can not fully fund, as they have to pay more out for scholarships now than before, they have to continue to compete for players and you can't do that with offering them nothing. What you might see is a drop in spring roster sizes, as you can now see in some programs, even at the larger ones. But if that is the case, they drop athletic scholarships, more and more importance will be on grades, for academic money.