Skip to main content

Reply to "Roster Spot Offer"

Bottom line is in D1, a team basically HAS to have 8 kids on the roster that are not on a baseball scholarship.  Does a coach fill those spots with crappy players that they don't want and have no chance to make the team?  I wouldn't think so.  If a coach can fill those spots with quality ball players who get a bunch of academic money, I'm sure he's as pleased as punch.  I don't necessarily think that just because your son is not getting baseball money, it doesn't mean the coach doesn't like you.  Especially if your son is getting a bunch of academic money.

Whether the coach really likes your son is a judgement call you and your son are going to have to make.  No one on this site can give you a definite answer one way or another.  I would say if the coach promised you a guaranteed spot on the 35 man spring roster, that's a pretty good sign.  Unless you think he's flat out lying.  Only you can tell that by your interactions with him or looking at past history.

Like I said in the beginning, every D1 team HAS to have 8 non-scholarship players.  It doesn't mean they don't like you.  They may love you because you are good and you get a bunch of academic money.  As others have said, even if your son had baseball money, that is a year to year thing.  Nothing is guaranteed.