Skip to main content

Reply to "rotator cuff surgery"

Lodi,

As someone said before, don't trust the x-rays and MRI. I just had surgery last Friday. My x-rays and MRI showed bone spurs and inflamed bursa and rotator cuff tendon. After going through the cortisone/PT process, it didn't get any better so I was scheduled for the standard decompression surgery.

When the surgeon scoped me Friday, he found a 50% tear in the tendon and some fraying of the labrum, neither of which showed up on the MRI. So I got the bone spurs shaved down, the bursa cut back, the tendon sewed up, and the labrum cleaned up. And my shoulder hurts like hell.

Major discomfort...definitely get the nerve block. I'm sure there are horror stories about it but there was a guy in recovery when I was and he didn't get the block and he was thrashing around in so much pain he couldn't take it. They took him back in and gave him the nerve block post-surgery.

It's a huge needle but it's not that bad. They gave me some anesthesia so I was a little foggy but still awake, then they stick the needle in at the base of your neck to find the right nerve. I didn't even feel the injection.

I started PT yesterday and we're planning on 6 weeks of standard PT, then moving slowly to the interval throwing program if I'm ready at that point. Now, I'm a dad and a coach, so my only concern is being able to throw BP for my sons and our teams. I just won't be able to throw BP on consecutive days now. There will be a lot more ice and rest between practices, that's for sure.

Best of luck with your procedure. If you have questions let me know.