Skip to main content

Reply to "rotator cuff surgery"

quote:
Originally posted by Gary DiBart:
Who was the Surgeon. My Son has to get labrum /rotator surgery ASAP . We are looking for the right doctor. The university (coach) wants him to use the school Doctor.I have an appt today in Phila w/ Dr. Mark Lazarus (Rothman). We are a wreck any Advice?

Gary, I would urge you to get your son to Dr Andrews in Birmingham. In a certain sense, there isn't anything urgent or having the surgery ASAP. The damage to the labrum/rotator cuff won't change unless your son plays or something of the like.
It is far more important to have the surgery done right, not to have it done ASAP.
It is equally important to have it done by someone with a track record of success, to the extent there is a record of success with labral tear repair.
In my opinion, the words "team" orthopedist should not carry much weight in making these decisions. If you want to send me a PM, I would be happy to explain why I make those types of comments.
You will find that many MLB teams/players send their very toughest surgeries to Dr Andrews. You will also find that when the "team" orthopedist does a surgery and the results are not as expected, the team sends the player to Dr Andrews.
This surgery is very critical and needs to be done by the best. Dr Andrews should be your very first call, in my opinion.