Skip to main content

Reply to "rotator cuff surgery"

I'm sorry my input was interpreted as a "slap."
It was not meant that way so I will try and explain.
Recently, a team orthopedist published an article on labral tears/repairs.
Studying about 50 or so patients, it concluded that roughly 25% get back to compete at the level of baseball they did pre-injury/surgery.
That article concluded there is much to be learned about shoulder surgery/rehab even amongst the team physicians/ortho's.
Baseball is a sport that stresses the shoulder like no other. That combined with the lack of success of labral repairs led to my recommendation to find the best surgeon with a track record on successes with baseball players.
My son's career was ended by a labral surgery that ended up requiring a second one, done by Dr Andrews.
Recently, I read of two very high profile local pitchers who had their college careers ended before they actually got started, by shoulder surgery complications.
My input was to find the very best surgeon who has some record of success with baseball players who compete at the highest levels. Dr Andrews is one.
I am not aware of a single one at Stanford and I deal with a number of doctors in their facilities. Maybe there are some at Duke and JHU. If so, they would be options.
I am sorry if you interpreted my post as a slap. It was not intended that way. It was intended only to suggest looking behind the "team" doctor affiliation to find the surgeon with experience and success with this surgery for baseball players.
I wish someone told me to ask those types of questions and get that type of information before our son had this surgery. That is all I wanted to communicate to Gary.
Last edited by infielddad