Skip to main content

Reply to "Rules question of the day"

That's a fascinating question - weirdly worded, but dissected to be - ball pitched, ball bounces in dirt, batter swing that tips ball, ball goes directly to catchers mitt, and is caught, A-yup very unusual...  The answers leave me perplexed because they indicate runner and not batter-runner ...

I'll answer things this way... A batter can hit a bounced pitch fair, right? Anyone disagree? So when determining hit/foul or not it only matters what happens after the batter makes contact with the ball.  Don't be fooled into your knowledge that a pitched ball must pass through the strike zone "in flight" to be ruled a strike if the batter doesn't swing (even on those dropped 3rd type situations).  Beyond that, consider if I had an 0-2 count, cared about OBP more than strikeout count, and I felt that a pitched ball was going to the backstop - why not swing & miss and run to first, especially with 2 outs... (think air-mailed to backstop or thrown badly in dirt that catcher would have no chance at fielding).  So the yelling would go from why are you swinging at that pitch to *run*!  Of course no one is yelling at the umpire that gets this right