Skip to main content

Reply to "Run 2 Miles in "x" time to make 2020 HS team - your thoughts?"

YachtRocker posted:

My son's HS coach has just announced (it's mid November 2019) that all 2020 team prospects will need to run 2 Miles within some yet to be determined time by end of February to be considered for the HS team in 2020 

Ok, yes I understand athletes of reasonable fitness should be able to run 2 miles.. but making that the focus for a sport that otherwise embodies sprinting?   Is that a worthwhile part of baseball training in 2020?  (can it help someone be a better baseball player - or better college prospect?)

Just curious as to your thoughts,  and what time might be reasonable for a HS prospect in a 2 mile "run"?  Is there a speed/time that represents reasonable baseball "fitness"?

thanks! 

Yacht, one of my sons had two different college HC's require running a mile under XX to be eligible to see the playing field or, in the case of a JC, to make the roster.  In each case, I'm pretty sure the reason had less to do with any conditioning benefits than other.  Generally, an aspiring player will be presented with new hurdles to overcome on a regular basis.  Often, one could question the "fairness" of the circumstances surrounding the hurdles.  Doesn't matter.  Doesn't do any good to ponder that aspect.  The player needs to take on the mentality that he will expect hurdles and attack them with ferocity as they come... that attitude will be required if he is to maximize how far he can take his playing ability.

As a HS coach, I have had to play hardball a few times with players that needed pushed to work on their overall conditioning... a few responded and went on to good things in the game (and elsewhere).  A few did not and failed to reach their goals or come close to reaching their potential.

I say this knowing that your son has challenges with that particular aspect but is strong in other aspects.  Part of me is tempted to ask more circumstantial questions.  But, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.  He needs to attack the hurdle.  Once that is the primary focus, then we can talk about other steps that can be taken.  I suspect that if he fully buys in and does this, things will work out.  In fact, this could very well turn out to be exactly what he needs at exactly the right time.

Best to him!  And, keep us informed.