Skip to main content

Reply to "Run, Run, Pitcher Run."

Originally Posted by Kyle Boddy:

Coaches (and people in general) want things to be simple. If training for baseball was simple, everyone would throw 90+ MPH and hit light-tower bombs. The reality is that something as mundane as "endurance training" is actually really complex.

To me this is the heart of what becomes the reason for most of the misinformation about training. Someone does research that shows some of our muscle fibers can be changed. Now the paper is long and complicated and discusses the fact that it's a negligible amount of fibers and an insane amount of training to change that small amount of fiber. Now that research is simplified to training certain ways can change your muscle fiber make up. That then gets simplified and sold since simple sells. Now you have kids afraid to run across the street because it will make all their muscle fibers endurance ones hahaha.

I get asked constantly on my opinion on this. My answer I just don't know. There is very little research done on in and it's and extreemly complicated function. You just kinda have to go with what gives you results. If running after pitching makes your arm feel better than run. If running sprints helped you gain 3 mph then run sprints. Maybe someday there will be enough research to make a conclusion.

The other half of the problem is people trying to make some things much more complicated than they are. For example the dieting industry won't make its billions of dollars with eat less exercise more.
Last edited by Scotty83