Skip to main content

Reply to "Running tab for Summer Ball"

My son just graduated Sunday.  He's played 8 years of travel ball....with some fairly serious travel.  Omaha, PG in GA twice, Cooperstown, Tennessee 3 times.

At 10U-13U, we started in mid/late April and played 10-12 weekends.  I'm thinking Omaha and Cooperstown were the most expensive.  Omaha was 6 days....Cooperstown 7 (he played, I coached, family split a Lake House).   We made if fairly affordable in GA and TN by renting Lake Houses and splitting with 2 other families (paid roughly $100 night ea), but had a full kitchen/grill etc, so never had to eat out.  Once he hit 14U he was in HS, so the season was much shorter (6/7 weekends) and by 16U/17U he often went with other players and the whole family didn't always go along.

I would guess 10-12U years were in the neighborhood of $4000 summer when you include team fees, travel, hotels, food, etc.

13U was probably $2000 (only one long trip)

14U $1500 or so

15U and 16U I ran the team and we hosted a tourney to cover a lot of costs.  Probably got by for $1500/year.

17U playing for a top team.....and having paid college coaches...$1400 for the team fee/uniforms....and I would guess another $700-800 in expenses so $2200 or so

Looks like that totals around $20K for his 8 seasons......

The baseball portion of his college scholarship is almost exactly that amount over 4 years.....so I guess we broke even....lol