Skip to main content

Reply to "San Diego Best Eating"

I grew up in San Diego, now we vacation there fairly often. When we visit, we really just go for Mexican, and seafood. Our all time favorites.

For Mexican:
Alfonso's in La Jolla. On Prospect Blvd. Get there before you're starving, request a table on the patio, be prepared to wait. Stroll down the street and window shop while you wait. Ask for the pickled carrots with your chips&salsa.

Old Town Mexican Cafe. A lively casual spot.

El Indio. India St at I-5. Order at the counter, take your plate to a table. Great takeout. Be sure to grab bags of chips, and fresh tortillas to take with you. We bring them home on the plane.

Roberto's. Carmel Valley Rd. If you have time for a beach day, head up the coast to Torrey Pines State Beach, our favorite beach! Between La Jolla, and Del Mar, so not too far. Just across from the parking lot is Roberto's. People stand in line for great Mexican fast food, then sit on the patio, and eat.

For Seafood:
The Fish Market. On the embarcadero, or in Del Mar across from the racetrack. Absolutely fresh fish. They have their own fishing boat fleet, and only have available what is truly fresh. Be prepared for a wait.

Anthony's. An old time local favorite. On the waterfront. Thay have a fast food counter, a casual dining room, and upstairs, a fine dining room...I think jacket required.

Sportsmans Seafood Restaurant. Quivera Rd. near Sea World. Order at the counter, fresh caught seafood, eat inside, or out. Watch out for the seagulls!

Hmmm, I might have to plan a trip. All of this sounds so good!